One of my favorite recepie finds of all time is one for French Toast Casserole by the great Paula Deen (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/baked-french-toast-casserole-with-maple-syrup-recipe2/index.html). You must try this recipe! The praline topping is what makes this dish a success. The brown sugar in the topping caramelizes on top and forms a sweet, buttery, delightfully crisp layer of deliciousness. The toast itslef is not overwhelmingly sweet, yet spiced perfectly with cinnamon and nutmeg (always use freshly ground nutmeg-it's a must!). The casserole is to be served with maple syrup (only the real thing, please!) and makes a great dish for special occasions. Honestly, if you ate this rich of a breakfast every morning I can promise you would end up looking like Kirstie Alley pre Jenny Craig. My family usually eats this dish on Christmas and Thanksgiving morning.
Tomorrow morning I'm cooking breakfast for someone special and have decided not to prepare the usual casserole but to surprize him with something new....hmmm. While researching the Food Network website I decided I wanted to make a basic French Toast Recipe so I'm trying one by Alton Brown (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-toast-recipe/index.html). Now I've had one VERY BAD experience with an Alton Brown recipe...but that's a different entry and I don't believe he can completely botch something as simple as French Toast! I'll let ya'll know how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment