My first bad experience was with his French Onion Soup recipe (http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/french-onion-soup-recipe/index.html). Now, I've used the same recipe for French Onion Soup for a couple years and after watching an episode of Good Eats, I was inspired to try something new. His recipe sounded delicious and unique; he used white wine and a splash of Cognac....I had to try it! 5 sweet Vidalia onions and 10 oz of unfiltered Apple Cider are other components I found interesting. (Now that I'm writing out the ingrediants I'm amazed I couldn't see it coming.) Let's see what we have here: SWEET ONIONS, SWEET APPLE CIDER, and SWEET WHITE WINE (I used a chardonnay). What does that equal, kids? That's right, SWEET! Yes this soup was MUCH too sweet and close to unedible. A complete disaster.
Now, about the French Toast. If you read my last post you saw that I was trying a new recipe, also by Alton Brown for French Toast. Unfortunately, this recipe was far from what I would call good eats. Before I started cooking, I studied the recipe to be sure I didn't forget anything and I realized something extremely irregular: this french toast didn't call for any cinnamon or nutmeg! I was floored. I've never heard of French Toast without even a pinch of cinnamon in it! Needless to say, I immediately modified the recipe to include the two irreplaceable ingrediants.
When my guest arrived, he unexpectally brought a friend along. It's a tad embarrasing for me to serve a recipe that I've never tried to people other than my close friends and family, but I also don't want to be rude so I offered him a plate. As you may have already guessed, Alton Brown's French Toast wasn't that great. Not terrible, mind you, but not great. I'm sure Alton Brown knows what he's doing in the kitchen...maybe we just have different taste...very different taste.
No comments:
Post a Comment